Happy 2nd Anniversary Souther California Underwater Parks.
It’s been two years since the implementation of Southern California Marine Protected Areas or “Underwater Parks” and here at WILDCOAST we have been working hard to make sure these areas are a success so future generations can have a thriving and healthy marine ecosystem.
We believe that the only way these protected areas work is if the community is involved in conserving and protecting them and of course, enjoying and exploring them!
In 2013 WILDCOAST:
- Educated 2,620 students k-12 about San Diego’s Marine Protected Areas
- Outreached and educated 288 community members through presentations in events, lectures and meetings.
- Engaged 434 visitors and residents in a marine recreational activity (kayak, surfing, snorkeling and tide pooling) in a San Diego Marine Protected Area.
- Distributed 4,000 Fishing Guides and Marine Recreational brochures that allow the community to understand where the MPAs are located, the new rules and regulations and to better understand how to properly use the MPAs.
- Trained 60 new MPA Watch volunteers for the La Jolla and Encinitas areas.
- Trained 10 Junior MPA Watch volunteers in partnership with the San Ysidro Girl Scout troops.
- Engaged 160 students with a stewardship activity such as beach cleanups or stenciling storm drains with “no polluting” messaging.
THANK YOU! We couldn’t do our work with out strong community support of concern and involved citizens. We hope 2014 will bring us more success as we get closer to the five year review of the first network of MPAs in Southern California.